Regional English Language Office
About the RELO Office
The Regional English Language Office (RELO) collaborates with the U.S. Embassy Public Affairs Sections in Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Maldives. The English Language Office supports the U.S. Fulbright-Hays Act of 1961, which aims to increase communication and mutual understanding between the people of the United States of America and the people of other countries throughout the world.
To achieve these goals, the English Language Officer (RELO) advises Posts on aspects of English Language Programming, consults with host-country ministry, university, and teacher-training officials, visits local schools and institutions, and attends local conferences and seminars, and helps Posts implement Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) programs in the most effective manner. These programs include, but are not limited to the following:
- the English Access Microscholarship Program,
- the English Language Fellow Program,
- the English Language Specialist Program,
- the E-Teacher Scholarship Program,
- educational materials/resources, such as the English Teaching Forum journal.
In addition, the English Language Office often provides advice for and engages in cooperation with:
- the Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA) Program,
- the Fulbright English Teaching Assistant (ETA) Program,
- the Teaching Excellence and Achievement (TEA) Program,
- the Study of the U.S. Summer Institute for Secondary Educators Program,
- the International Visitor and Voluntary Visitor Programs,
- Alumni Exchange Programs,
- local and regional English Language Teacher Associations (e.g., NELTA, BELTA, SLELTA), and
- regional conference organizers, as well as others who arrange training that is focused on English Language Teaching.
For this purpose, the RELO engages in developing, monitoring, and funding targeted local programs, supporting the development of local teacher’s organizations, and serving as a resource to teachers and other education professionals in the region to improve the overall quality of English language instruction.
American English Webinar Series 1 Call for Application
Regional English Language Office (RELO), U.S. Embassy Kathmandu announces call for application for American English Webinar Series 1.
Application Deadline: Tuesday, August 04, 2015Download application form (PDF 325.28KB)
MOOC (Massive Open Online Course):
The U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, in partnership with the University of Oregon and Coursera, will launch the second series of the Shaping the Way We Teach English Massive Open Online Course (MOOC). More..
Join our online Communities
TraceWordSoupTraceWordSoup is a U.S. Department of State free English language learning game for feature phones and lower-end smartphones.
The game: Players use a set of 10 random letters to create as many words as possible. Points are assigned for each word. Longer words and less common words earn players more points.
Additional game details ()
All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.