Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Help in finding a lost friend or relative

Help in locating a lost or missing friend or relative

U.S. Embassies and Consulates help locate U.S. citizens overseas when relatives or friends are concerned about their welfare or need to notify them of emergencies at home. The provisions of the Privacy Act require that U.S. citizens over the age of 18 must provide a Privacy Act waiver before we can release information about them to third parties.    
If you believe that your friend or loved one has gone missing in Nepal and you are in the United States, please contact the Department of State, Overseas Citizens Services by telephone at (202) 647-5225. You may also contact the American Citizen Services section of the U.S. Embassy in Kathmandu directly by calling 977-423-4000,  tell the operator that you have an emergency and ask to be transferred to the American Citizen Services Unit. If you are an American citizen with an after-hours emergency, please call: +977-1-400-7266 or +977-1-400-7269 or email   
What information to have before you call     
To assist us in locating the U.S. citizen in Nepal, it is helpful to have as much of the following information as possible:     

  • Caller's full name, address, phone number and relationship 
  • Name of the person abroad 
  • Date and place of birth  
  • Passport number (if known)  
  • Last known address and phone number; itinerary   
  • Reason for their travel/residence abroad (business, tourism, etc.) 
  • Date of last contact 
  • Other points of contact abroad (friends, business associates, hotel, etc.)

For emergency family messages, please also include:   

  • Nature of the emergency
  • What you want the person told about the emergency 
  • Name, address, and telephone number and relationship of the person you wish subject to call after the emergency family message is relayed to them by the U.S. Embassy