Notice: Due to the earthquake that struck Nepal on 25 April 2015, the Embassy’s Consular Section has cancelled all non-immigrant, immigrant and diversity visa, and asylum/refugee follow-to-join interviews from Monday 27 April 2015 through Friday 1 May 2015. Please check this site frequently for updates on any additional cancellations.
The Embassy of the United States of America in Kathmandu, Nepal has a new procedure for handling Immigrant and Diversity Visa inquiries. Effective April 1, 2015, the Immigrant Visa Unit will not accept phone calls or walk-in visits, with a few exceptions listed below. Any inquiries regarding Immigrant and Diversity Visa cases sent to the Consular Section email at email@example.com will not be answered.
There is now a customer service center available for applicants to obtain information by phone, as well as by email.
- For questions regarding Immigrant and Diversity Visa cases, applicants may email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applicants may also make inquiries and schedule appointments by calling the customer service center, Monday through Friday from 8 am to 8 pm, at 1 800 091 0114.
- Callers in the United States may also dial (703) 988-3428.
All Immigrant and Diversity Visa applicants must create a profile at http://www.ustraveldocs.com/np. This will enable applicants to further process their case for inquiries, document submission, and visa collection.
We will continue to provide inquiry hours at the Consular Section on Thursdays (except holidays) from9:00 am to 10:00 a.m., and accept emails sent to email@example.com for the following situations only:
- All Legal Permanent Residents (LPR) who are abandoning their LPR status, applying for Returning Resident Status, who wish to request a boarding foil for lost, stolen or expired green cards, or have an emergency situation and require Consular assistance;
- Fiancé(e) Visa applicants for inquiry or document pick up and drop off;
- All Immigrant and Diversity Visa applicants whose appointments have been scheduled at Post and who need their cases unlocked to update any information on their DS260 form (e.g., adding a dependent or changing an address).
Be prepared for your Immigrant Visa interview:
When you are scheduled for an Immigrant Visa appointment by the National Visa Center, please check the checklist for documents required to prepare for your interview and medical instructions. http://photos.state.gov/libraries/nepal/391216/2015/Immigrant_Visa_Checklist.pdf
DS-260 form for all Immigrant Visa applicants:
Please make sure that all the information on your DS-260 is accurate and updated before your interview at the U.S. Embassy. If you need to update any information, such as a change in marital status, addresses, birth of a new child, new passport information or if you find any errors on your DS-260 before your interview, please contact the Embassy and request that your DS-260 be unlocked. You should then be able to make the necessary changes prior to the interview.
Errors or incomplete information found on your DS-260 application at the time of interview will cause unnecessary delays and your appointment will be rescheduled. The Consular Officer will confirm with you at the time of the interview that you have completely read and understood all of the answers provided on your DS-260. If you cannot confirm having read and understood the contents of your application, the interview will not proceed.
For All Refused or Pending Immigrant Visa Cases
If we determine that your visa application lacks required documentation or information or if your application requires additional administrative processing then your case will be refused under Section 221(g). At that time, you will be given a sheet that will indicate the basis for your refusal. If applicable, it will tell you what actions you must take to overcome the refusal.
• If your application requires additional administrative processing, then please wait until the U.S. Embassy contacts you with further instructions.
• If you are required to provide additional documents, submit them to whichever of the six Nepal Investment Bank Limited branches that you selected when creating your profile. Do not submit documents to the Embassy.
• If you are requested to personally return to the U.S. Embassy with additional documents or information, the Embassy will schedule an appointment for you.
Visa issuance and validity:
The visas are affixed inside each passport and the applicant is given a sealed envelope which should be hand carried, UNOPENED, to the United States and submitted to the immigration inspector at the U.S. port-of-entry.
Immigrant and Diversity Visa validity is always limited by the medical validity expiration date.
All Immigrant and Diversity Visa applicants must create a profile at http://www.ustraveldocs.com/np and select a pick-up location from one of the six different Nepal Investment Bank Limited locations across Nepal. If your application is approved you will collect your passport and visa from the location you chose. K-Visa fiancé (e) and Returning Resident Visa applicants will continue to pick up their passport and visa from the Embassy.
The Embassy Holiday Schedule
Join our online Communities
All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.